Thursday 3 November 2011

Some thoughts and ramblings~

Well, reading posts, and sometimes the random comments again, makes me feel like it's time to update. Nothing really exciting has happened since my last post, although I did what most Singaporeans won't do.. travel by ship to China via Korea.

With airfares that are not as expensive as before, why did I choose to do that then? Well, simply because it's an experience. If you are from Singapore, the only boat/ traveling by sea are the boats to the nearby islands and perhaps a cruise to Malaysia, which is also not that far away. So staying at the hostel, I have heard of people who traveled from Russia to China to Korea on sea and I find that fascinating.

So when I had to leave Korea again in September, I did exactly that. I took a ship from Incheon to Qingdao. It's 16 hours but most of it was at night. It was a fascinating experience, though it was a lonesome one. I wrote a lot then, my fan fictions mostly. There was even fireworks on board the ship! And for a 9-day trip, all I planned was when I left Korea and when I would arrive back in Korea. Everything in between was a question mark! It was insane yet exhilarating! You can only travel like that if you are alone, or with someone who would go with your flow. Or if you are insane like me.

I went to Beijing. I went to the Forbidden City and I climbed the Great Wall of China. And being in a country where the food and language is familiar is GREAT!! Osaka was beautiful, but not knowing any Japanese made the experience really bland. But I'm going again in December with Victoria and this time, we have a guide! I got in touch with one of the guests I met at the hostel and asked him to be our guide. He agreed and even offered to put us up! :) So we just have to worry about getting there and back and letting him know when. Nice!

Back to my China trip, my biggest realization was if Singapore were to just depend on tourism, we will be dead. Or we would have to import culture like we import everything else. I went to the Ming Tombs and the first thing I thought to myself was, "When Mr. Lee Kuan Yew passed away, how would Singapore remember this man? Would we build a memorial?" Then the cynic/comedian in me kicked in "Nah, there's no land in Singapore. If we build him a memorial, we would probably have to dig it up in 10 years to make way for progress."

So China has all these fascinating historical sites, it got me thinking about Korea. To be honest, I was more of a tourist in China than Korea. So while I did go to some of the touristy places, I wasn't really impressed. And if you have been to Forbidden City before Gyeongbok Gung, then seriously, it pales in comparison. But interestingly, Korea has created another cultural hotspot for themselves: K-pop.

To Koreans, it fascinates them whenever they asked foreigners why they came to Korea and the reply is "K-pop". I got the same "you must be crazy look" when I said the reason why I came to Korea was to watch 2AM's concert. But they have to realize that K-pop has become a real push in their tourism business. It has become a commodity that every other country outside of Korea wants to import and won't mind spending money on. Even Singapore. We are forever importing, never really creating. Sigh. What are we going to do?

What am I, a Singaporean who's abroad worrying about the future of Singapore? Pfft.

14 comments:

Paul said...

Hi, I came across your blog when looking for Singaporeans/Korea. It's really interesting to read the great experiences & difficulties that you faced when settling into Korea. (Getting a mobile line, ARC, Language) Cos I faced pretty much the same issues when moving here. ^_^ Kimbak Heaven is my favorite easy to eat food as well. Anyway, ya I do sometimes wonder what Singapore has to offer as well. But I guess at the very least, Singaporeans can be a highly valuable workforce. Do continue sharing and Enjoy your big adventure in Korea.

Anonymous said...

Do continue writing. It is my pleasure, reading from your very first to latest post. Perhaps i found your blog as i want to travel there too, but it is your writing that keeps me reading on.
^ ^

twilightelusion said...

@Paul I think for Singaporeans, traveling anywhere and actually staying there is already an experience. To me, I feel that Singaporeans can be the most educated yet one of the most narrow-minded and perhaps inflexible population in the world.

@Anonymous I will continue writing. Writers write as long as they have readers. Or like me, I just have to put the thoughts somewhere. Hope you enjoy your trip here when you finally make it. Korea is still an interesting place to visit nonetheless. Seoul might be too similar to Singapore or any cities but travel out of the main center and you will find it has a lot to offer.

Anonymous said...

thanks for creating this blog. I have been to Seoul twice and I simply love it. It is an amazing place. And having visited my girlfried's home town in ganjing, i was also blown away. Imagine living in really traditional houses with those roof. it was an amazing experience. I am trying to find workkk in Seoul! any chance any one has opportunity or even starting a business there?

thanks
dexter

Anonymous said...

Hi! I tried emailing you~ is your email still the same as stated in the post during April?

Cassie-opeia said...

Hello! May I provide a link to your blog on my blog? I'm currently a tertiary student who is planning for a future in South Korea and I especially love it that you are sharing your experiences! It gives me great strength! <3

ping0119 said...

hi, I'm from Singapore too ^^ I've read all your posts and really admire your courage & determination to make your dream come true.

I have just ended my school life in university and am planning to try to find a job & settle down in Korea. But from what I've found, it seems hard to find a job besides teaching English :/
I'm thinking if I should go to Korea first and see how things will work out (but my savings might not last me though >< Since I haven't started working). Also, my knowledge of Korean language is very basic... Level 2000-3000?

Nigel Tan said...

hi, I've sent an email from nigel @ findcheapcarinsurance.org to singaporeaninkorea(at)gmail.com (it's not a spam) and I'm hoping if you could read it and give some advice.

And to those who are thinking about moving to Korea for a few good months, email me and see if we could get any accommodation together at a better rate.

I left my job and decided to move to Korea. I don't know anything about the Korean Language besides "yeh and deh". (Insane I know..but it is these super-crazy things that you do in life that makes life more enjoyable, right?)

I've been to Korea and Japan in October this year and you probably guess it, I could spend another century there in Korea but couldn't wait to get out of Japan. (No disrespect, Japan is cool but not the way I would live my life.)

J said...

Hi! is there a way to contact you via email?

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I'm a Singaporean who just happened to read your blog, amazing journey you have embarked upon and even more amazing courage you have to follow your dreams :)

ShayeL said...

Hello!

I am so glad to have found your blog! I just found out that I will be moving to Seoul in March. To be frank, I am not looking forward to it at all. In fact, I feel miserable and think I need some support.

A little bit of background, I am currently staying in Japan where I have been teaching English for the past 10 months. Oh, that's just one of my part-time job, by the way. I also work 2 other part-time jobs to make ends meet. The economic situation in Japan is not so good and English-teaching jobs are thin. I also ran into the problem of not being a "native speaker of English".

Anyhoo... i just found out that I will be in Seoul later this year and I tried contacting the HR department of my language school's branch in Seoul. Again, I found out that I will be unable to teach English in Korea as the E2 visa is only granted to people of the seven english-speaking countries as recognised by Korea. Before I hung up, the HR director also asked if I had any friends who wanted to teach English in Seoul. But, he reminded me me that they should be young, female, white and preferably pretty.

my first experiencd with a language school in Korea and i already feel so defeated. and i am not even sort out my alien registration card , mobile service, accommodations, etc.

the fact that korea remains largely a society intolerant of tattoos also depresses me. i have been thrown out of onsens and gyms in japan before and though my current gym is rather tolerant, i still get looks of disapproval in the shower stalls. i wonder if that will happen in korea too.

HELP! i am moving to seoul soon, with no job and i am scared to death...

SingaporeMemoryProject said...

Hi,

We tried to look for your email contact but it does not seem to be available on your blog. So we are contacting you via a comment.

On behalf of the National Library Board (NLB), we would like to invite you to pledge your blog to the Singapore Memory Project (SMP).

We find that your entries about your exciting experiences as a Singaporean in Korea would be a great addition to the Singapore Memory Project.

We think your blog would offer a different perspective. Whether your posts are an account of your daily life or an expression of your thoughts, our project hopes to find a home for these memories so that it can help build a ground-up understanding of Singapore.

If you believe memories are worth preserving, simply pledge your blog here: http://singaporememory.simulation.com.sg/Public/Pledge.

The SMP is a national initiative started in 2011 to collect, preserve and provide access to stories, moments and memories related to Singapore. For more information about this initiative, you may wish to contact Mr Patrick Cher at patrick_cher@nlb.gov.sg or read the FAQ.

Yours sincerely,
Krishna

[Simulation Software & Technologies (S2T) Pte Ltd. is the officially appointed vendor for SMP for the period Nov 2012 to Dec 2013.]

pRiSsY^8-6^ said...

Hi there, r u still living in Korea? :)

Spencer Yeo said...

Hi I heard you do option trading as well

I am Singaporean and planning to find a job and move to Korea in few years after my ITE diploma in Automotive plus 1.5 years to qualify for Germany and to earn extra money.

Can you advice me about option trading? I don't want to be working hard all my life for nothing.