Thursday 10 March 2011

D-Day: It has finally arrived.

D-Day. This day has finally arrived. How long have I waited for this day? 2 years.

I started having the idea of visiting Korea, of working in Korea back in May 2009. I'm a Korean-anything newbie, in fact I would admit some measure of avoidance towards anything Korean. So pre-2009, if my then traveling partner were to suggest Korea, I would just roll my eyes.

I would not bore you with my story of how I got into Korean entertainment but suffice to say We Got Married (season 1) played a huge role, though it all started with Boys Over Flowers.

But I couldn't up and go because I was bonded to the Ministry of Education in Singapore. I was a teacher. With the goal of going to Korea in 2010 when I finished my bond, I told my bosses that I would quit once my bond ends. Many people said I was stupid to tell them so early because that might cause my performance to be evaluated differently because there is no potential development so to say. But I thought I was being fair. I was stupid.

Long story short, I had plans to use my performance bonus from last year to go to Korea and stay there for a month and explore my options beyond teaching. Though I'm fully qualified to teach English as a Second Language, I am not holding the right passport. But my VP told me during March holidays last year that I wasn't getting any of that bonus.

So basically what that means to me is
1. I'm a failure as a teacher
2. I'm a failure as a teacher
3. I'm a failure as a teacher

In my first year, my ex-VP told me I should consider exploring other options because teaching doesn't seem to be my cup of tea. But I love teaching. I just hate everything else associated with a teacher's job in Singapore. My kids do well in their studies, I have good relationship with them, and their parents. So honestly, I really thought the evaluation was unfair.

I had a breakdown and couldn't go back to teaching. And with that goes my dream of going to Korea in June as well.

Since then, I have been quite lost. Of course I found Adam Couple, started kkaplinesubs, moved on to starting an International forum for 2AM - IAM for 2AM. But ultimately what do I do with my life is a question I constantly ask myself.

This Korea trip was unplanned. I spoke to a few friends about the possibility of doing idol merchandising. A friend came forward with a suggestion which I thought was fantastic. But without knowing what's in Korea it's actually quite difficult to run a business.

So I talked to my dad. I asked him to pay for my air ticket. And so I'm going. In about 15hrs 30min, I'd be flying towards my dream. I've been toying with the idea of trying to get a job in Korea and I told myself that I would bring along my papers just in case. And what do you know, Big Hit Entertainment sent out a recruitment notice via Twitter the other day.

Maybe all of this was planned. I was rushing it at the beginning. Maybe God gave me some time to plan, to try, to make mistakes, to learn lessons. I'm not overly religious but I believe everything happens for a reason.

I have things to worry about in Singapore of course. But seriously, right now, I just want to take that leap of faith and believe that there will be a pair of strong arms to catch me. A very strong pair of arms.

What's the purpose of telling everyone all this? I don't know how many of you watched Dream High or how many of you cried when you watched Dream High but DREAM HIGH is my message. It might seem impossible, it might sound ridiculous to the people closest to you (one of my closer friends did not believe my determination to go to Korea and do what I want to do), but if you don't get it the first time round, just remember to pick yourself up and wait. While waiting, hone your skills to get what you want. Eventually, you'd either find out that maybe the dream is not for you or you will get closer to your dream than you can ever imagine.

I'm going to send my resume to Big Hit Entertainment. And I will post a screen shot of that having been done on this blog. All of you shall be my witnesses and I hope with your well-wishes and blessings and prayers, I would get an interview and hopefully the job.

The people on Twitter who had been providing me with tips and advice and encouragement, you know who you are, you do not know how much that means to me. For someone who felt lost and discouraged at times, I found strength and drive to go on because there's always someone with a word of encouragement.

In 2009, I wrote a message on my blog then for all my close friends and it was set to be published when I leave in July 2010. That message was never published. But I'm glad this one is.

So this trip is a dream come true. In more sense of the word than one.

1 comment:

Estellx.O said...

Hi, just wondering if you are still active on this blog? Or do you occasionally sign in to just see-see? Anyway, I was google searching on Singaporeans living in Korea and I happened to see your blog's link and read a few of your posts. Haha.

Saw this portion of your blog post, "What's the purpose of telling everyone all this? ... It might seem impossible... ridiculous to the people closest to you (one of my closer friends did not believe my determination to go to Korea and do what I want to do), but if you don't get it the first time round, just remember to pick yourself up and wait. While waiting, hone your skills to get what you want. Eventually, you'd either find out that maybe the dream is not for you or you will get closer to your dream than you can ever imagine."

I guess in a way, I'm just like the you back then, just thought that I have to comment on your post. After reading your blog post, I think I found my motivation back again, I too, want to go to Korea to get a job and just live my dream. I just hope everything would work out... but living abroad seems like hard.