Friday 11 March 2011

Day 1: The one where I had 1 hour of sleep.


Hello~ Annyeong!! :)

So I arrived this morning at Incheon Airport and to be honest, inside the airport it wasn't cold. But when I stepped out, it is cold, especially if the wind starts blowing but it's manageable. Hot packs have no need to come to the rescue yet.

Initially, I wanted to take the subway to the guesthouse. I finally decide that I do not want to miss my first morning in Seoul being underground and according to Irene who went to Korea twice, there's a lot of walking and a lot of stairs (YES! OMG OMG OMG!!). And lucky thing I did. The pictures are no way near perfect but it's another country, my destination.


Korea sunrise 1


Korea Sunrise 2


Inside Airport Limousine Bus #6002

OH! I have to talk about my flight to Korea. I think we flew on one of the older aircraft and the center row had 4 seats. Now, I'm big. My hips are big and the seat was JUST right for me. The seat belt was unfortunately not long enough so luckily nothing happened during take off and landing, otherwise I might not be sitting here. But lucky thing? There was no one beside me, so I could actually lift up the armrest and not feel cramped.

Anyway, the flight started off with a baby symphony. One baby started crying, another baby seeing another cry, also started crying. LOUDLY. Thank goodness my earphones are quite good at masking the sound. Nothing really eventful in that flight tho we were served a full meal at like 1.30am.. -.-

I dozed off for about an hour but it was like SOUND asleep. So I woke up ard 45 mins before the plane was going to land in Incheon. I kept staring at the screen. I watched the distance slowly reducing. I watched the plane simulation got closer to the destination. My heart beat a little faster. I didn't get the window seat but as we hovered above the skies with the city light greeting us, I waved in my heart. I said hi. I cried. Again. But not as much as when I was in HK.

So anyway, went thru immigration, collected my baggage, collected my rental phone, bought a coffee and then went out in the cold to ride a bus. And seriously thank goodness there's technology and I choose to have data plan. I used it to view the map leading to the guesthouse.

I found it. It was quite a walk away but manageable. I rang the bell but I was informed by the manager who was woken up by me that I couldn't check in yet. I asked if I could charge my laptop/iPad/all other gadgets, he said yes BUT the universal(?) plug I brought along with me didn't work. So it was 8am and I was out in the empty streets looking for a universal plug to no avail I must add. So I went to Starbucks and stared mournfully at the available power supply but no means to tap on it. I wasn't quite happy with the manager's attitude plus the door way was a mess (shoes shoes and more shoes! untidy untidy and UNTIDY)

I decided to ask Esther unnie for help since she recommended another guesthouse to me so I quickly asked her for the name, etc again via Nancy. When Christina contacted me to meet me, she wasn't ready, I was getting bored, so I decided to venture out to Myeong Dong on my own. It was an interesting system but seriously if u ever come to Seoul, PLEASE WEAR COMFORTABLE SHOES AND DON'T CARRY TOO MANY THINGS. Seriously I felt like I have walked a thousand miles today. If you are transferring fro one line to another, be ready to walk the distance. And the steps. Oh man. M knees cry just thinking of it.

But overall, so far so good. The food is fantastic. Seriously fantastic. Even the banana milk. (I'm not a fan but I'm a convert now. What's so good about it is that u are able to taste the MILK in it). Had Kimchi Chige with pork in the afternoon and BBQ at night. Basically I haven't stopped eating yet.

Kimchi Chige (Pork)

Christina (@lilxceejay)

GalBi with carbonate makgeolli (bottom right)

SamGyeopSal~

After dinner, we took the train. I was heading towards Dongdaemun and Christina was heading back to Guri. I fell asleep and missed my stop. I got out at the next stop thinking I can cross the platform and take the train back. But no, it was on THE OTHER SIDE. So I gave up the idea and decide to try taking a bus instead. Man, did I get lost or what. Tho it was stated Dong Dae Mun but it looked a little dark. I wandered around a little and saw(?) the market where all the clothes are being supplied. I would go to the proper Dong Dae Mun and MyeongDong too. Plus other places.

Ok I think I'd sleep soon. Lack of sleep + weather changes. I can't believe I'm saying this but here goes: I miss Singapore humidity. Tomorrow. Is another day. Haven't quite decide what to do in the morning yet. But Christina is going to bring me go paint the town red. Let's get lots of it and paint it pink. I like pink more.

1 comment:

deb said...

I knew the feeling when u mentioned about the walking & climbing of stairs. Basically in Hong Kong & China, it is the same as well esp. when the many exits of the subway station. Once u go up the wrong exit, u have to walk a long way back.

And when u tweeted that u are going to Dongdaemun & Myeongdong after dinner, I was amazed by your energy level!!

Anyway, sweet dreams!